We have extensive federal appellate experience the federal courts of appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS). Our attorneys have argued in all thirteen federal circuit courts of appeals and have significant experience in cases before the SCOTUS. In addition to matters before the SCOTUS, we focus on appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (D.C. Circuit), the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in Richmond, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati. All three of our attorneys began their careers as law clerks, including clerkships in the SCOTUS, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the Supreme Court of Ohio, and federal district.
Virginia Whitner Hoptman also represents clients before the appellate courts in Maryland and Virginia.
Suits against the Federal Government
Injunctive Relief, Constitutional Claims, Negligence & Breach of Contract
Our attorneys have decades of experience as trial and appellate attorneys representing clients in complex litigation in which the United States or its agencies is a party, including actions that (i) challenge the government's arbitrary and/or unconstitutional decisions under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA), (ii) allege negligence of the federal government under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), or (iii) allege breach of contract in suits brought in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, (iv) Fifth Amendment takings claims in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), (vi) federal consumer protection statutes including statutes and regulations overseen by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
porting Act (FCRA), Right to Financial Privacy Act, Electronic Funds Transfer Act, Credit and Debit Card Receipt Clarification Act, and other similar statutes.
All three of our attorneys have extensive trial and appellate experience in commercial litigation experience, including cases involving the breach of acquisition agreements, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, professional malpractice (directors & officers, accountants, appraisers, and other professionals), negligence, fraud, misrepresentation, interference with contract rights, covenants not to compete, and more.
Procedural and Substantive Expertise
- Enforcement actions by the Federal Banking Agencies (FDIC, OCC & FED)
- Financial institution golden-parachute agreements
- Bank & Financial Institution Receivership Law
- Federal Deposit Insurance Act (FDI Act)
- Federal Deposit Insurance Improvement Act (FDICIA)
- Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery & Enforcement Act (FIRREA)
- Dodd Frank Act
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau regulations and consumer financial protections
- Business and Personal Tort Actions (negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud)
- Challenges to Federal Statutes, Regulations, and Federal Agency Decisions
- Administrative Procedure Act
- Constitutional Claims and Breach-of-Contract Suits against the United States
- Tucker Act
- Bivens Actions
- Negligence Suits against the United States or Its Federal Agencies
- Federal Tort Claims Act
- Sue-and-Be-Sued Federal Agencies
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and federal agency Touhy regulations
- Commercial contracts
- Legal and accounting malpractice
- Waivers of sovereign immunity
- Federal subject matter jurisdiction (Article III and prudential standing)
- Federal preemption
- Intervention into federal suits
- Removal of cases from state to federal court
- Waivers of sovereign immunity
- Amicus curiae representation